Thursday, May 8, 2008

Questions and some help....

Hello everyone......We had to take Reese to the doctor yesterday because i thought she was getting that awful cough that Joshua has. Well it turns out she is fine and just coughing because she is producing so much saliva from teething that it is going down the wrong pipe and she is basically choking on it. POOR THING!!! I feel so bad for her when she coughs. Anyway on to the help. We had to see a different doctor because our usual doctor is off on Wednesday's. It has been brought to my attention but became very noticeable to me yesterday. The doctor was asking about the shape of her head and how much tummy time she get. I will put her on the floor on her back because i know that she will roll over the second i set her down. Her head has become very flat on the right side. That is very noticeable, but never really thought about it because i do what i can and i know that her hair will cover it when it grows out. Then the doctor pointed out more. She laid Reese on her back and we bent down to look at the top of her head. Her ears are not aliened right and because her head is flat in the back on the right side, her forehead is protruding on the right side. It was very noticeable when she showed me.
She then started telling me about the DOC band (dynamic orthotic cranioplasty.) The type of problem that she has is called plagiocephaly. I am sure everyone has seen them. They are those white helmet things that some babies wear. I always thought they had them on because they had soft heads and with fragile skulls. If you are not sure what i am talking about their website is www.cranialtech.com.

I think it is something that we are really going to look into. I can see it now.....A 16 year old girl yelling that she hates me because her head is shaped differently!!!! :o) You can actually have designs put into it like flowers, ladybugs, crowns and words. My fellow bow makers....we need to come up with ways she can still wear bows. I am sure it will have to be without the headband.

If anyone knows anything about these any kind of help or information would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone and we will definitely be keeping you posted.

4 comments:

Brandon and Erin said...

hey- i would do it. If they think it will help- go for it. I have a friend who had to have her baby wear one (he was a preemie)_ and it was fine...seemed to bother her more than the baby just b/c it was bulky. I don't really know much other than that- but keep us informed! love and miss ya- give kids hugs and kisses

Unknown said...

I totally know what you are talking about. Jackson's head got really flat on the back left and I was SO nervous about it. He didn't have to wear the helmet but I did do more tummy time when the doc pointed it out to me. I used the Bumbo a lot to sit him up and I used the boppy...I'd lay him on his belly and prop his arms on the boppy. I'd put toys in front o him to play with. When he started rolling I'd lay with him for 10-15minutes while he was on his belly so he'd stay in that position. It seemed to help. And now he has a big round head! Let me know what happens!

The Bullards! said...

Hey sweetie! We have gone through a similar thing with Eli (shocker I know) lol! His head was SUPER flat on the back because he didnt roll etc. for so long. The doctor suggested working with him several times a day with putting objects on his side so that he lays on his side more, try as Meg said and put her in the bumbo. Pretty much do anything that is going to get her on her side or tummy and do your best to keep her out of situations where her head is placed flat, such as swing, carrier etc. I know it can be frustrating but please feel free to call me anytime. Eli's head is better now it just took some time.

Whitney said...

I sat Macy up and put my boppy wrapped around her back and bottom as a support to keep her upright. I also used the Bumbo seat. I would lay her on her tummy a couple times a day and just play with her to keep her occupied but only for about 10 minutes at a time because she was not a fan of tummy time, so it was hard. Good Luck and keep us updated :)